Location: Dolo Ado, Somali
Employment Category: G
Reporting To: Base Manager-Dolo Ado
Direct Reports: WASH Officer/WASH assistant
Start of Contract & Duration: 6 Months up to May 31, 2023
Posting date: November 5, 2022
Closing date: November 18, 2022
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the direct supervision of the Program manager for WASH and Shelter, the WASH Team Leader will lead the emergency WASH response in areas of intervention by DRC, providing urgent lifesaving water, sanitation and hygiene to vulnerable persons (IDPs and Host Community).
Develop a program plan, ensure its smooth implementation, and manage the team’s performance of project tasks and activities that may include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise and coordinate the field implementation of WASH project activities mainly in IDP settlements
- Plan field activities, supervise field staffs and community workers and any potential contractors and ensure a follow-up of the different activities with regard to the agreed planning, guideline, standard and required quality of the works;
- Ensure that all measures have been taken and rules followed to ensure security on-site;
- Assist the WASH Team in the direct implementation of project activities;
- Assure the adequate compliance and adherence to available SoPs and Guidelines;
- Participate in coordination meetings (WASH, NFI and ICCG) team workshops and lessons learnt seminars;
- Mobilize the team and lead the non-food item distribution. For this, ensure targeting, verification, distribution, and reporting is done as per the guideline and in consultation with clusters.
- Lead WASH item distribution
- Carryout other additional duties as assigned;
Assessment, monitoring & evaluation of activities
- Assess regularly the WASH implementation and determine adjustment needs;
- Collect any relevant information from the communities and partners in the area for improved service delivery;
- Analyze and monitor the results of the WASH activities;
- Participate in the needs assessment and the selection of the beneficiaries according to the minimum standards
- Responsible of the communication between DRC and the Communities regarding the implementation of the WASH activities;
- Introduce the WASH activities to the Communities and organize the necessary meetings with different stakeholders;
- Support the adequate mobilization and implementation of the soft WASH activities (the information sessions and campaigns related to hygiene and health promotion, waste management and others).
Procurement and Budget Expenditure
- Prepare procurement plans against approved work plans and ensure timely initiation of procurement requests in line with established guidelines and procedures.
- Monitor and track budget expenditure and burn rates, flagging over/under expenditures and recommending corrective measures in a timely manner.
- Prepare monthly budget forecasts with reference to the overall program annual budget forecast and submit to the country office on time.
- Ensure proper contracting, field level oversight, works certification and payment preparation processes for contractors and other service providers engaged to execute WASH works.
Management of WASH Team
- Directly supervise the WASH team (WASH officer, WASH assistant and their subordinates) comprising of technical expertise.
- Conduct annual staff Performance Monitoring and Development Review for the employees directly supervised.
- Identify staff training needs and recommend on-the-job or other capacity building measures in close consultation with the field office and HR department.
- Ensure team motivation and team work and promote open communication and feedback channels and fora. Promote adherence to DRC’s ethos through leading by example.
- Contribute to organizational accountability initiatives, including overseeing the roll out of commitments of DRC under the HAP (Humanitarian Accountability Partnership) within the systems function
- Adhere fully to the commitments and rules of DRCs Code of Conduct
- Ensure compliance and implementation of recommendations made by internal and external operational reviews, evaluations and financial audits
- Oversee the WASH Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning initiatives of the project and drive changes and shared lessons learning
- Provide supervision to the maintenance and Community Mobilization team and ensure effective performance management and Community Behavior Change
- Responsible to write concept notes, human interest stories to generate donor support and demonstrate impact of WASH interventions.
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- Relevant technical background and experience in emergency response contexts in the WASH sector and at least 3 years of experience
- Proven and good understanding of community-based approaches, including clear involvement of children, women and people with disabilities in the hygiene promotion and others sector that are related to WASH project
- Capacity and ability to build trust and relationships organize people and manage performance of teams
- Proficiency in use of a wide range of statistical, Geographical Information Systems, water modeling, engineering and computer software programs for project design, implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation and information system management
- Understanding of the donor compliance needs for a variety of humanitarian donors, government and corporations
- Be a team player and ready to collaborate with others in positive manner
- Proven experience of preparing and managing budgets
- Good attention to detail and methodical approach to work.
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- A University or higher education graduate in a subject relevant to the assignment (preferably in water supply and sanitation engineering, hydraulic engineering, environmental engineering, public health, or other related fields.)
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent skills in speaking, reading and writing English
- Knowledge of Somali language is an advantage
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than November 18, 2022.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.