Title: Protection Officer-Legal
Location: Dire Dawa, Ethiopia
Employment Category: H
Reporting To: Protection Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: December 31, 2022
Posting date: November 4, 2022
Required Employee: 2
Salary: USD 540.00 to USD 656.00 based on you work experience and educational qualification.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), is planning to implement a UNHCR funded project titled Access to Safety and Justice for IDPs in Somali region. The overall objective of the project is to promote safety and access to justice for 25,284 beneficiaries in Fafan, Sitti and Afdher zones of Somali region through enhanced capacity and linkage between the formal, customary and community structures, and extended access to legal aid service for target populations. With the project DRC will provide direct legal aid service through awareness raising, legal counseling, legal assistance, financial legal assistance and court representation in partnership with university legal service centers. Added, DRC will provide capacity building activities for formal, customary and community structures, humanitarian partners and legal service providers with the aim of improving the legal protective environment.
DRC, therefore, is seeking a highly qualified, enthusiastic and action-oriented individuals for the position of Legal Protection Officers to support with the implementation of the activities under the project. Applicants are expected to have a demonstrated legal background combined with experience in project implementation. DRC highly encourages female applicants.
We are seeking for three legal protection officers, One for Jigjiga(Fafen zone), One for Dollo Ado(Afdhar zone) and one for Dire Dawa(Siti zone).
- Support the protection team leader and legal protection specialist in collaboration and coordination with University legal aid center to provide services for IDPs and host communities in Fafan, Sitti and Afdher zones of Somali region. This entails regular field work to IDPs and host communities’ locations.
- Provide beneficiaries who require more detailed information on legal matters and related issues with counselling services and technical assistance as well as facilitate referrals and possible legal assistance;
- Ensure case management tool implemented and project documents and databases are properly kept and updated;
- Assist and coordinate with university legal aid centers to extend legal assistance and court representation
- Facilitate and enroll capacity building and legal aid mainstreaming trainings for community structures, local administration, humanitarian agencies and law enforcement bodies.
- Facilitate and support the formation of inclusive peace committees comprising of IDP, and host communities across project implementation woredas. And provide capacity building training
- Ensure all components of the action adhere to protection standards and principles as well DRC guidelines and accountability standards.
- Lead the daily implementation of legal components of the action. This entails ensuring weekly and monthly work, financial and procurement plans are in place and closely followed.
- Work closely with the action’s legal protection specialist and MEAL to monitor project achievements. When activities are identified as behind schedule or are facing technical or logistical challenges, work with the Team leader and Protection manager to identify and implement corrective actions.
- Contribute to regular reviews of achievements and spending for the action and contribute to all project reporting related to legal activities.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 2 to 3 years of work experience within the field of law.
- Experience working with an international NGO or UN agency preferred, but not required.
- Technical understanding of protection concepts, prevention and response strategies.
- Proven record of designing and facilitating trainings and workshops on legal topics.
- Hands-on experience working with communities and governmental authorities.
- Proven record of designing and facilitating trainings and workshops on protection-related topics.
- Strong planning, organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Integrity, strong work ethic, and ability to consistently meet deadlines under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal skills and commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel.
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in law; but Bachelor’s degree in other social sciences could be accepted in absence of law degree.
LANGUAGE: (Indicate fluency level)
- Excellent verbal and written proficiency in English.
- Somali language skills will be an added advantage.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than November 18, 2022.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender-gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.